Many people are unaware that care for their children’s teeth begins with the very first tooth. Healthy teeth are important for the overall health of your baby. Did you know according to American Academy of Family Physicians that your baby should see a tooth doctor for kids around their first birthday?
You want to start a great relationship with an AZ family dentist early. Sky Dental gives affordable dental care while encouraging your children to have effective dental hygiene. One issue parents always ask us about is getting their kids to brush their teeth.
Why is Brushing and Flossing important for your Kids?
One major reason is this shocking fact: Half of all school-age children in the U.S. have tooth decay! It is important not to let your kids skip brushing their teeth no matter how busy your family life tends to be. It must be a habit for each morning and again each night before bedtime.
A regular dental routine is essential for keeping away tooth decay. In just a few minutes, twice a day, your kids can form a habit that will provide a lifelong healthy smile. Our Sky Dental hygienists are a great resource for teaching your children how to brush and they make it fun!
Tips for making Tooth Brushing Fun!
- Let your child pick out his or her own soft-bristled toothbrush.
- Allow your child to pick out their flavor of toothpaste. The American Dental Association approved fluoride toothpastes, such as watermelon, berry and bubble gum. The fluoride will protect the enamel on their teeth and help prevent cavities, but it’s not good to swallow. Have fun teaching your kids how to spit and rinse, so they don’t swallow the toothpaste.
- Use some fun apps for toothbrushing such as, “Brush DJ“. This app plays two minutes of music, the recommended time for brushing, while your child races against the clock to brush well before the time is up. “Star Teeth” allows kids to pick a character who encourages them while they brush.
- Pretend the toothbrush is a microphone and sing fun songs together or make funny faces at each other in the mirror. You want your child to look forward to each morning and evening when it is time to brush their teeth.
- Young children respond very well to praise, so offer lots when your child does a good job brushing and flossing. For an older child, you can provide a small reward, like reading an extra story or giving them a sticker for brushing their teeth each night.
Is it important that your Kids keep their dental hygiene appointments?
The answer is: Yes! One of the most important appointments to keep at your AZ family dental office is the dental cleaning session. We clean your child’s teeth and their gums. According to the American Dental Association, having your child’s teeth properly cleaned twice a year at your dentist’s office is key for excellent dental health.
Early positive experiences at the dentist reinforce the idea that the dental office is a fun and friendly place. Children who get in the habit of going twice a year and have good dental hygiene as kids have a much better chance of keeping healthy teeth as adults.
Contact Us for an Appointment
Contact Sky Dental Offices in Phoenix, AZ and let us help you build a dental hygiene routine for your kids. You can count on us for affordable dental care for you and your children! Call your Sky Dental office today to confirm your scheduled appointment or to set up a new appointment. We look forward to seeing you soon!